I'm going through another fashionista phase. Ill timed, seeing as how I have absolutely no money to spare on something so unnecessary. More often than not it's the status-quo inside my head, but when I'm going through one of these phases I make attempts at putting this state of mind into action. I start to spend more time standing in front of my closet in heels and underwear, and less time watching TV in a sweatshirt. Two nights ago I cut off short bangs for myself. I should style my hair and put a picture up here to display them in their full punk-pop glory. I also spent about an hour and a half at Salvation Army with my mom, finally emerging with a crisp white ruffled tuxedo shirt and the softest grey 3/4 sleeve cashmere turtleneck.
There is a pair of incredibly comfortable clogs at Shoe Pavillion that I should buy. I need them. What I want is a pair of high heeled wingtip oxfords.
On a more intellectual note, I finished Atonement by Ian McEwan at 4am on Tuesday morning. There just came a point of no return. Afterwards I ate ice cream by myself in the kitchen because I knew I wouldn't be able to fall asleep right away. Reading him I felt like I've discovered a painting by a modern day Diego Velazquez with every jewel, every hair carefully painted and not an ounce of meaning or subtlety lost in the details. There is no reason to forgo technique in order to express a feeling, or make a statement. It's a lousy excuse and too many artists, writers and poets today are using it. Or perhaps it's not an excuse, but a fabricated trend fed to the audience as a cover up for lack of talent, and an abundance of insecurity. The same goes for fashion. I think that's another reason why I'm falling for it this autumn. Menswear is in, and that trend often coincides with a return to quality fabrics, nicely stitched leather and tailored cuts.
By the way, the holiday Vogue cover is gorgeous!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment